Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Horseradish Dill Potato Salad

HORSERADISH DILL 
POTATO SALAD
Horseradish is one of my favorite flavors, so I'm surprised its taken me so long to post a horseradish recipe.  Now that I have a few ounces at hand, anticipate more horseradish experiments in the future.  I'm reminded of my pleasant surprise upon realizing that horseradish is a flavor that pairs really well with sweets - like the golden beet horseradish cocktail I had a few months ago.  Horseradish beet salad?  Summer borscht with horseradish?  Sounds like I've got a future post in the works already...

Generally speaking, I love potatoes but am not a huge fan of potato salad.  Mostly its the mayo that puts me off.  Looking at other horseradish dill potato salad recipes, I saw most included mayo (and some buttermilk) in order to make a creamy dressing.  As you can tell from the photos, this version has a thicker dressing (which perhaps doesn't photograph as nicely as the Food52 version).   Ultimately, you'll need less of it and will feel like you're eating dressed potatoes, rather than having some potatoes with your goo.  Greek yogurt instead of mayo is certainly a healthier alternative and still has the aromatic, sinus-awakening, and fresh flavors that remind me of my favorite Eastern European dishes.


Ingredients (makes 4-5 servings):
  • 2 lbs. small to medium red skin potatoes
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt
  • 2-3 tbsp. horseradish (not "horseradish sauce")
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp. chopped chives
  • 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill (less if using dried)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Wash the potatoes and place in a large pot, filling it with water so the potatoes are submerged with at least 1 inch of water above them.  Bring to a boil over high heat.
At a boil, reduce to a simmer and let the potatoes cook about 10 minutes, or until they fall easily off a fork or knife when stabbed.  For this recipe, its better to err on the side of slightly undercooked rather than have mushy potatoes.  Drain the potatoes and cool to room temperature (I put mine in the freezer).
For the dressing, just mix the greek yogurt, horseradish, garlic, chives, and dill together.  Adjust the amount of horseradish and dill to your liking.
When the potatoes are cool, quarter them (I like larger pieces of potato) and season with salt and pepper.
Toss in the dressing and add any additional seasoning you prefer.
Serve chilled and enjoy.

1 comment: