Saturday, January 12, 2013

Max & Sam's Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Saturday night I had the pleasure of babysitting my nephews.  I especially wanted to make dinner with them after many conversations this past week at work sparked by the new blog.  I can only imagine the challenge of finding time to cook and eat as a family with young children, so I wanted to do this partially as a tribute to all the wonderful teachers I know with young kids at home.

These cauliflower crust pizzas are trending, so I took on the challenge to cook something healthy with kids (but still "Pizza!").  Of course, I was curious to see if they would like it.  We had a traditional dough as backup, just in case.  With a bit of help from my brother and sister-in-law still needed, it was a success all around.  The adults liked it, too.
Cauliflower Crust:
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
  • 6 tbsp. grated parmesan
  • 2 eggs
  • Salt, Pepper, Oregano, and Garlic Powder to taste
Toppings:
  • Pre-made Pizza Sauce
  • More cheese for the boys
  • Anything else for adults (I used bell pepper, kalamata olive, sauteed spinach, basil, fresh mozzarella) 

Knowing I couldn't take long to prep with Max and Sam, I readied the ingredients at home.  You can easily grate the cauliflower, sautee the spinach, and cut the veggies well in advance and refrigerate it until dinner time.  I did add a little lemon juice to the cauliflower to help it keep in the fridge. 


To make the crust, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Mix the grated cauliflower, cheeses, whisked egg, and seasoning.  Flatten on a greased baking sheet in a thin layer.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crispy.
Top your pizza with sauce and anything else you'd like.  Return to the oven until cheese is melted and it has reached the crispiness you prefer.  Silly faces while you wait will pass the time.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Nessa! Your blog is amazing and I want to try everything. Forwarding it to Ali as well (she is allergic to yeast). Good job, you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a fun new project. I hope Ali likes the recipe!

    ReplyDelete