Friday, December 13, 2013

Garlic & Dill Roasted Salmon / Mashed Potatoes

Dill and garlic are two of my favorite flavors, and this recipe is definitely for other garlic and dill lovers out there.  In fact, I would say that it's only for dill and garlic lovers out there.  The rich roasted garlic is balanced out well with fresh dill and citrus, keeping a hearty winter plate nice and healthy.  If you've never tried replacing the butter and cream in mashed potatoes with greek yogurt, I'm telling you now you'll never go back.

I would make something coincidental up about how this Mediterranean fish is fitting after getting over the hurdle of my final paper for a course in Greek history, but I can't since that paper was probably the worst historical argument I've ever written.  As you can tell from the last few posts, I've been facing a bit of writer's block lately, but what this post lacks in voice is made up for in flavor.  I'll let the food speak for itself. 
Roasted Salmon Ingredients (serves two):
  • 2 salmon filets
  • 2 tbsp. fresh chopped dill
  • 4 large cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Mashed Potatoes:
  • 1 lb. red skin potatoes, cleaned and halved
  • 1/3 cup greek yogurt
  • 2 tbsp. fresh chopped dill 
  • 2 tbsp. milk or cream
  • salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Bring a large pot of of salted water and halved potatoes to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
While the potatoes cook, prepare the marinade for the salmon by stirring together the dill, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.  Coat the filets in the marinade, and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
Roast the filets on a lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the filets.  

As the salmon roasts, drain the potatoes and mash with the dill, greek yogurt, and milk.  Season with salt.
Serve together with a spritz of fresh lemon juice.

2 comments:

  1. i had been waiting all day to make this and when i went to put together the marinade, i found that my fresh dill had gone bad!! i ended up using a tsp of dried dill and it was still delicious!! thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dill can be so finicky like that...I've definitely been in that boat many times! I'm glad it worked out with dried dill, and that you enjoyed it!

      Delete