Monday, April 15, 2013

moroccan stuffed eggplant


MOROCCAN STUFFED EGGPLANT

Whoo hoo!  It's finally springtime in Chicago.  How do I know?  Obviously because it snowed Saturday morning and was 70 degrees and sunny Sunday.

Given this about-face, I feel its appropriate to share some springtime resolutions in hopes that making them public on the world wide interweb will hold me accountable.  First, I'm going to lose the winter weight, 10 lbs (gulp).  I have been aware of that fact for months, but even now just typing it for you all to read is making that number very real.  WAIT, I have excuses:
  1. You.  I've sort of done more blogging than working out lately.  100% more blogging than working out, to be mathematically precise.  Or, 1:0 ratio of blogging to working out, if you prefer.
  2. Okay this one is better - I've acquired a geriatric hip.  Last summer I exploded my calf muscle a little playing soccer and my entire right side has been out of wack since.  It has become a serious problem.
So, I suppose in addition to starting a exercise regimen I need to get down to seeing a doctor.   Given my hip couldn't take 1.5 miles of running yesterday, maybe I should reverse that order.

So how does this all relate to Moroccan Stuffed Eggplant?  Gosh, I don't know...but I'll make something up.  I will lose 10 lbs prior to July 22nd, when I get on a plane to Marrakech. Better yet, eating this recipe is a good way to start that journey, so go make it and coach me on. 
Stuffed Eggplant Ingredients (makes 5 baby eggplants or 2-3 adult/normal eggplants):
  • 5 baby eggplants or 2-3 adult/normal eggplants (redundant)
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp. ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice 
  • 1/4 tsp. turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne 
  • 1 cup fresh tomatoes, large dice
  • 1 large can of whole stewed tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
Spicy Potatoes (makes 4 servings):
  • 2 lbs. fingering potatoes, large dice
  • 1/2 onion, large dice
  • 3 tbsp. chili paste
  • 1 tbsp. fresh ground ginger or ginger paste
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmet
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. turmeric 
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne
  • salt to taste
 
If you have a melon baller now is the time to use it.  Cut the tops off the eggplant and dig out the guts to make pretty thinly-walled receptacle for the stuffing.  If you don't have a melon baller, do the best you can by slicing the eggplant in half and carving out the center to make a little boat.  Don't discard the eggplant innards. 
In a bowl, mix the ground turkey, onion, parsley and spices to make the stuffing of the eggplant.  You could certainly use beef or lamb for a more luxurious flavor.  Stuff this in the eggplant, being sure to push out any air pockets.
Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Sear each side of the eggplant.  Add the chopped tomatoes and reduce, then add the can of whole tomatoes (crush them with your hands).  Season and add the bay leaf.  After a few minutes, add the meat of the eggplant, cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in another large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chopped onion and season, allowing to cook a few minutes until soft.  Add the potatoes and season again.  Cook until browned. 
Mix the chili paste, ginger, and spices for the potatoes and stir into the pan.  Let sear a few minutes more, then cover and allow to steam and soften.
At this point, you can uncover the eggplant and turn up the heat to allow the tomato sauce to reduce.

2 comments:

  1. i love this recipe! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Rebecca from MyNaturalFamily.com. I shared a link to your recipe on my post
    http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/easy-paleo-chicken-recipes/
    I want to make sure it's ok with you that I did so. Please let me know if you want me to remove your image.

    I would love if you could share a little love by sharing the post on your social media accounts. After all, in the end it will help you get more traffic too.

    I am also open to other collaboration ideas so please let me know if you have ideas of how we can help grow each other’s blogs.

    Get More Traffic

    In case you're not already a member of our sister site, InspiringCooks.com I would like to invite you to join it.

    I was frustrated with how much work it is to submit to food submission sites so I created my own site kind of like Food Gawker. The main difference is that you don't have to submit each recipe. All you need to do is fill out this form - http://inspiringcooks.com/submit-recipes/ and we will add your recipe images for you with a link to your site (no recipe on our site). We will also promote your content by pinning both directly from your site and from our site.

    Bonus - when you join Inspiring Cooks, you can also request to be added to My Natural Family’s most popular group boards on Pinterest.

    Make More Money

    I make over six-figures on My Natural Family and I wrote a blog post all about how I do it. I think/hope there are some ideas in it that could help you make more money with your blog - http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/earn-six-figures-blog/

    ReplyDelete