Thursday, January 17, 2013

Roasted Winter Vegetables














While incessant guilt sort of comes with the territory where I'm from, few things make me feel guiltier than having to throw away food gone bad.  I'm usually very careful about buying exactly what we need for a week, wishing I had a fridge more along the lines of what you'd see in an episode of House Hunters International.  

This week I mismanaged my resources.  Forgetting that finals week at work comes with a pouring of gratitude from the administration in the form of breakfast burrito bars, and matched by the union with deep-dish pizza, I didn't consume wisely.  (I swear I only had a half slice of pizza...and I was serving it all day to my very deserving colleagues.)  Oh, I also had my monthly serving of red meat at a lovely retirement party for our department secretary (who I will miss dearly) at a swanky steakhouse.  Burritos, deep-dish, steakhouse.  Should I go for a beef and hotdog tonight to cap off this Chicago culinary journey?

Basically,  I needed to make something that was hearty enough to last a few rounds of leftovers, was particularly healthy, and required a bunch of produce.  Curried, roasted winter vegetables.  That will do.












 Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
  • 1 large sweet potato, large cubes
  • 1 onion, large dice
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower, broken down 
  • 1 yellow squash (I know, really not a winter vegetable
  • As many Brussels sprouts as you'd like,  halved
Spice Mix:
  • 3 tbsp. turmeric
  • 3 tbsp. curry powder
  • 2 tbsp. paprika
  • 1 tbsp. corriander
  • 1 tbsp. salt
  • 1/2 tbsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Chop your vegetables and divide into two large bowls, just so they are easier to manage.  Unless you have a massive bowl, of course.  

Distribute the spices  evenly and add about 1 tbsp. of olive oil to each.  Toss with your hands.  Let your sight and smell take over - add any of the spices you think might be lacking.  Don't worry if it seems a little dry at this point, as the vegetables shouldn't seem coated in oil.  As they roast they will release water and moisten up. 















Spread evenly on two lined baking pans and cook for 20 minutes.  Toss and return to the oven to finish, another 15 minutes or so, until vegetables are soft.
Serve with hot sauce of choice.  I prefer sambal.
 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I've been in a brussels sprout kick lately. This will be great for the ones I have in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete